Sunday, February 9, 2020

Week 5 listening blog

This week, I listened to "Nancy (with a laughing face)" performed by Frank Sinatra and composed  by Jimmy Van Heusen and Phil Silvers. This song was recorded in August 22, 1945 in Hollywood. It was originally called Bessie with a laughing face by Heisen and silvers for A friends wife birthday who was named Bessie but they played it at Nancy Sinatra's (Frank Sinatra's daughter) 4th birthday party using Nancy's name instead of Bessie. When Frank heard it he cried because he thought it was written just for Nancy and eventually the lyrics were changed to Nancy with the laughing face.

This song was a romantic style as the instruments were very soft and the style of the string instruments was constant legato with tons of slurs thrown in (no separation of the notes in a smooth and connected manner). I love how quietly Frank is singing and his vibrato of his voice is lovely at the end of the note that is played at the end of a verse. You can tell he is singing with love and I adore how the lyrics can be taken as either for a significant other or a loved one such as a child. For example, the lyrics, "It's heaven when I embrace" could be taken as a lover or in Frank Sinatra's version, he speaks about his child and how he loves to hold her. The subtle pauses throughout the song give it more meaning and emphasis on what he is singing. Especially, when he sings the part, "When she speaks you would think it was singing, just hear her say hello". He sounds as if he is thinking of her and how much she moves him emotionally. I love this song and especially with Valentine's day around the corner this song makes me think of those I love and miss. The traits described in this song remind me of several people and I can't help but smile when listening to this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment