This song uses the same notes throughout the verse and uses instruments that give it that funky disco style such as electric guitar, drums, trumpets, and other wind percussion instruments. They also use what sounds like a cow bell in the song during the chorus to help indicate to clap during the chorus. Rob Parissi has several this voice that is raspy but also high-pitched that is also known in the disco music during the chorus such as the lyrics "Till you die". Overall, I enjoyed this song and the background as to how this song came to be. I think it is still a song that in enjoyed today that has a great beat that you can't help but groove to.
Monday, March 23, 2020
Week 10 listening blog
This week I decided to listen to "Play that Funky Music" performed by the band Wild Cherry. The song was created in 1976 during what I like to call the "Disco Fever" era. I really enjoy this song as I listened to it several times from playing Guitar Hero and also have listened to the renditions. This song was written by the band leader Rob Parissi who used to do renditions of other songs and make them his own which didn't make his band the most popular. However, while doing this at a gig some man yelled out, " Play that Funky Music, white boy!" and that gave him an idea to write down what was going on at the event and turn it into a song. The song was sadly their only hit that grew in popularity but other artists made renditions of this song including Vanilla Ice in his Ice Ice Baby album. This song was also featured in TV series such as The Office, Scandal, and The Big Bang Theory.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment