For this week, I listened to, "Mystery Train" performed by Elvis Presley and originally by Junior Parker. Junior Parker wrote the song originally in 1953 as a blues song with more mellow instrumental. Whereas Elvis Presley's version was more upbeat with guitar and just had a overall happier tone to it. Elvis Presley was known as having a unique voice that sounded like the popular negro voice as they describe it and was perfect for this rendition of this song. This song was what made Elvis Presley famous nationally as a country music star and this song was recorded and produced twice by the same recording studio named Sun Studio (first time for Junior Parker and second time was Elvis Presley). This song grew in popularity thanks to Elvis Presley and was number 11 on the National Billboard Country Chart in 1955.
The song itself is very upbeat compared to the Junior Parker version and has several repetitions throughout the song of the first verse such as, "Train Train coming round the bend" and "Train Arrive sixteen coaches long". The lyrics in the song tell a story about the train taking his lady (possibly a lover or someone close to the singer) far away but the train coming back later with her on it and she doesn't have to leave him ever again. I think it is a good short song and can see why it became so popular among other country songs because of its light and upbeat lyrics/tone in the song.
Hey Kailey I enjoyed your blog and view on "Mystery Train" performed by Elvis! I really enjoy what Elvis did to the early blues songs making them more exciting and upbeat. You shared some very interesting information about the life of Elvis and his impacts on music! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
ReplyDeleteHi, Kailey. I read your article well. Elvis Presley is one of the most famous singers. When I think of him, I think of long sideburns, white leather jackets, and bell-bottoms. But I didn't know much about his song. Thanks to your writing, I learned more about the song, "My Train." Thank you.
ReplyDelete